Monday, March 13, 2017

Making Fitness Fun for Kids


I was an overweight child.  I was the child who got made fun of.  I was bigger than everyone else.  I was slower than everyone else.  I didn't really like to go outside.  I loved watching television.  I loved seeing stories come to life on TV.    Thinking back on it, the most fun I had, playing as a child, was when I was pretending to be someone else.  Knowing that now, is it any surprise that I grew up to be a professional actress?  Lol!

But being an overweight child at the age of 10 was hard.  Kids can be mean.  I remember the hurtful comments like they were said yesterday and I remember each kid who said the comment.   I cried a lot.  I hated the way I looked a lot.  And as a result, my low self-esteem lead to an eating disorder that I would battle for the rest of my teenage and adult life.

To say I am passionate about childhood health, would be an understatement.  I hurt when I see children who are battling the same thing I battled because I know how they feel on the inside.  I don't ever want my own children to hate themselves.  I look at them, each with their own unique personality and light that they shine and I don't ever want that light to be dampened.   I want them to be full of energy, with strong immune systems and ready to take on the world!

In our house we have come up with some ways to make fitness fun!  No kid wants to go run around a track, or do a "boring" exercise video as my children would say.... So we spice it up at the Watkins house.  Simon Says is one of the many ways we make getting activity in, fun.  I hope you'll try it with your kids.  Not only will your kids get exercise, but they will also get quality time with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment